Sorry, items are for pick-up only. Please let us know when you plan to pick up your items. In the event your item is out of stock upon pick up, it will be refunded. Thank you for understanding!
Sun Chong's Jai Recipe
Soak in warm water for 15 mins - separately.
- Blanched, shelled peanuts -
- Dried Chestnuts - after soaking, boil in water for 5 mins, drain
- Black Fungus - after soaking boil in water for 5 mins, drain
- Lily Flower- stems removed, after soaking boil in water for 2 mins, drain water
- Dried Mushrooms - stems removed
- Long Rice -
- Foo Jook - Cut into desired length after 5 mins of soaking - drain, set aside
- Black Sea Moss "Hair" - (Soak 5 mins, drain, rinse, add 1 tsp of peanut or vegetable oil)
- Fresh Gingko - Crack shells open, boil in water for 2 mins to remove the skin, rub them together to remove the skin under cold water, drain
- Wheat Gluten & Fried Tofu - boil in water for 2 mins, drain
- Dried Oysters - Rinse and pat dry. Heat pan on high with oil - add fresh ginger and garlic - pan fry until golden brown. Turn head to medium and add 1 tablespoon oyster sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let sauce thicken and set oysters aside.
- Arrowhead and water chestnuts - wash and peel
In a large wok, heat oil, add red bean curd, then stir and break up (mash) curd. Add in peanuts, black fungus, dried lily flowers, and dried chestnuts, gingko nuts. Stir-fry 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms, fried tofu, fried gluten, foo jook (bean curd) arrowroot and water chestnuts. Add water to cover ingredients (chicken stock for savory jai) and 2 slabs of brown sugar broken up into smaller pieces. Bring to boil, then lower heat at simmer for 20 mins, stir occasionally and add water if needed.
After 20 mins add long rice, chinese cabbage, and sea moss on top. The peanut oil used to coat it during prep helps disperse the black moss throughout the jai evenly. Cover with a lid on low heat for another 15 mins. Add chinese peas last and oyster sauce to taste. Add oysters on top of the jai for decoration. (We cook our oysters separately since we usually have some picky eaters who do not care for it.)
*Bamboo shoots - if you love it, add it!